Welcome to Department of Microbiology
- The Department of Microbiology has its inception in the year 1991. The department of microbiology has an excellent infrastructure which provides the students with the ambience necessary for them to understand and practice advanced techniques in microbiology.
- The Department has expanded the master’s programme by including interval projects in the curriculum, which helps the students to succeed in an ever changing scientific environment. The members of the Faculty are well experienced and have continued their impressive accomplishments as leaders in their respective fields and have engineered the success of the Department. The department of microbiology has an excellent infrastructure with two well equipped labs and an instrumentation room with all modern instruments. The Microbiology section of our library has nearly 1150 books and the departmental library has nearly 40 titles
- The department is acknowledged as one of the best among the affiliated colleges of Osmania University for its excellent teaching, infrastructure and academic performance of the students.
- Symposia/ Conferences/ Workshops
- The department of microbiology has been organizing symposia/conferences at national and state level with eminent scientists and academicians as resource persons to make the student and teaching communities aware of the latest cutting-edge ideas, progress in biology and research. A few of our programs are:
- WISE-WOMEN IN SCIENCE & ENTREPRENEURSHIP: A two day symposium Organized in association with Indian women Scientist association (IWSA, Hyderabad) on 11th & 12th September, 2009 sponsored by CSIR.
- GUEST LECTURES: Eminent academicians and scientists from various Universities / Institutes/ Organisations are invited to deliver guest lectures on recent advances in the field for B.Sc. and M.Sc. students
- The department’s club sarcina was launched with an idea to promote students interest and development in microbiology and involve them in advance scientific knowledge through personal associations and interchange of ideas. The activities of the club include Poster presentations, Paper presentations, quiz competitions, group discussions
- Extension Activities
- The department has taken up extension activities in association with Darshika an NGO to empower girl students and train them in self defence and give them emotional training so as to over come the problems women are facing in today’s society.
The students’ research projects are aimed to improve conceptual understanding and develop scientific aptitude amongst them by providing hands-on learning experience. These help to bring forth the student characteristics such as prior knowledge, intellectual abilities, values and their personality as well as the extent to which they perceive research to be useful to them. Twenty seven INHOUSE student projects have been completed under the guidance of faculty during the period from 2002 to 2015
The success rate of the department is consistent through all the academic years with cent percent results among the Post Graduates and 40-50% of students achieving distinction. The department has a track record of achieving top ranks (11 top ranks) .Biotechnology and Food science.”
Best of equipment, equipped for you
All major equipment required for Microbiology practical and research work is available with us:
- Binocular & Monocular Olympus Microscopes
- Laminar airflow
- UV-Vis spectrophotometer
- Western blotter
- Phase contrast microscope
- BOD incubator
- Orbital shaking incubator
- High-speed refrigerated centrifuges
- Electronic balances
|Head of Dept.||Miss.K Shilpa Madhuri M.sc Microbiology|